John Bartholomew (Daybook)

ABC&SBC | LMC&EKA | JB&ERM | CC&KL | AC&MC | JB&PB| JEM&MW | Home | Contact Us


From the "Day Book" of John Bartholomew, borrowed from his daughter, Mary Elizabeth Bartholomew Stewart, and copied starting February 16, 1961.

Fayette, April 21, 1879.
As I had not kept my day book as I had designed, and as I have not made any entries of passing events for more than six months, I will not be able to give dates, but will have to relate, to the best of my memory, some of the most important things that have taken place in my life, and some of the most serious sicknesses that we have passed through during that time.

About the middle of October last, John Edward, our oldest son, was taken with a severe illness which was called pneumonia, or spasmodic croup or something of the kind, that effected his breathing organs so much that he could hardly get his breath. It was only through faith and prayers that he recovered. When John had gotten some better, William was taken with the same illness, which terminated in his death about 24 hours later. This was on the 24th of October, 1878. It was a sad time for us. Eliza had been confined with our little Alma on the tenth of the month and had not gotten strong yet, which made it worse for her than it would have been.

We have had sickness off and on every since. Eliza had very bad breasts in February, and as soon as she commenced to get better, Sarah was taken with a fever that was very severe. As she commenced to get better, Alma was taken with the same disease, and he was very bad. Thank the Lord they have gotten better, and at present, we have little to complain of.

Last winter was dry and cold. Very little snow fell in the mountains, so that there is a scarcity of water this summer.

Spring opened up in the latter part of Feb. and the month of March was like April. Now, in the late part of April, we are experiencing some windy, cold, snowy weather with some sharp frosts. It is feared that the fruit crop will be taken as the trees are out in full bloom. It commenced to snow last night and continued intermittently to the present time.

The corner stones of the Mantai Temple were laid on the 14th of this month of April 1879, at noon. Nine of the Quorum of the Twelve were present. President John Taylor conducted the Services. There was a shower of rain that passed over just before the services began and at the close, a blistery wind with a rainstorm came down. My brother Joseph, with his wife and children, our son, John, and I, were there. We came home after the meeting to find that the Bown family had lost their little girl. She died at 4:00 P.M. She took ill Saturday evening, was better Sunday-playing about the house until along in the afternoon. She suddenly grew worse until her death at 4:00 P.M., Sunday, 14th of April. The funeral was held in our Meeting House at 2:00 P.M. on the 16th of April.

Apr. 23rd.
I went out to hunt up some cattle for tithing and a cow for Newton Hill. The wind blew from the north and was very cold. Frost fell that night.

Apr. 24th
I worked the forenoon on a yoke; in the afternoon I took some Tithing Stock to Gunnison. The weather was milder today.

Apr. 25th
I worked about home today, also did some work on Albert Gay's grave. Fine weather.

Apr. 26th
In the forenoon I made a clothes horse. In the afternoon-rode the range.

Apr. 27th
Sunday. I attended the meetings-Priesthood and Y.M., .I.A. fine weather.

Apr. 28th
I went to Twelve Mile Canyon to get some log poles that I had left there last fall. I came back as far as Mayfield and stopped there for the night with James Cooper.

In coming down the dugway at Mayfield, the wagon got the start of the horses and together they rolled over the side to the bottom against a fence. The neck yoke crowded one of the horses against the fence, so that it was with difficulty that the breast strap could be unhooked. However, with the help of a young man who came up at the time, we got the horse loose and no damage was done except to the neck yoke.

Apr. 29th
James Cooper helped me unload and we got the wagon out before breakfast. I came on home.

Apr. 30th
I crossed the River to look for an old family cow. Did not find her. Fine day.

May 1st (Thursday)
Today is Fast Day. I attended the meeting.

May 2nd
Today I worked about home.

May 3rd
Worked at home watering a little.

May 4th
I expect most of the fruit is killed. It froze the last two or three nights. Sunday, Wm. Bown Jr. and I attended the meeting across the river in the Third District. We talked to the people on the duties of our every day lives. A quiet Spirit prevailed, during the meeting.

May 5th
I started with two yoke of cattle for Manti Canyon to get my logs from there and then take them to the mill to be sawed into lumber. I found part of those I had cut had been taken. I got the rest of them sawed and came down by way of the old Mountain Road and camped the night of the 8th, with my load of lumber.

May 9th
Came home today. Very windy with the wind coming from the south.

May 10th
I unloaded lambs and tended to some other chores around the home. Very windy.

May 11th
Sunday the wind came from the north. This morning it brought a storm-rain and snow which lasted until about 10 A.M.. and cleared up this evening. I attended Morning Council and Y.M.M.I. At meetings. The snow covered the mountains close around, but now at 6:00 P.M. it has disappeared.

May 12th
Last night was very cold with a sharp frost. The leaves were quite stiff, and the frost white on the ground. Today, John James, and myself, with others of a committee, are going to locate a place for a bridge across the river between here and the other side of the settlement.

June 5th
From May 12th to June 5, I have been engaged in various occupations during that time. I have made two trips to Manti Canyon for lumber, staying about a week each time. I attended Stake conference there on the 17th and 18th of May. We also made one trip to the grist mill and brought home with me part of a load of lumber. We sheared the May sheep besides doing many other things; such as watering in the field and garden.

The weather has been very windy and we have had some hard frosts during the time. However, the weather is warm enough at present with quite a wind. It looks like it might storm.

June 6th
My oldest son and I, went to Bald Mountain to get some timber for the dam that is to be made in the Sevier River. We got most of our load out today where we could load it on the wagon. It's been very windy today.

June 7th
We loaded half the timber; took it up the steep part, then came back for the rest. We came along alright until we got to a little above the second lime kiln, when one of the tires came off. It was with some difficulty that we got the wheel raised and the tire back on. We reached home about sunset with a cold north wind blowing.

June 8th
Frost fell last night. It being Sunday, I attended Sabbath School in the morning, Meeting, Council and Y.M.,. I. A. in the afternoon. There seems to be quite a slackness with the people in regard to their religious duties.

June 9th
I took the timbers to the river, which is west of Gunnison. It has been very warm today.

June 10th
We commenced to build a log pig pen, the material for which I had gathered together before. Cloudy and warm.

June 11th
We continued work on the pig pen. John helped me, and we got it so far completed, that we were able to put the pigs in it. It's been cloudy and windy with a sprinkle of rain this afternoon. A few clasps of thunder were heard, which are the first in these parts this season. It looks like we might have a rainstorm yet!

June 12th
I worked at my stable, putting on the poles. It rained and hailed in the afternoon. In the afternoon I did some work on the lot and cleaned out the ditch in front of the house.

June 13th
Joseph Jr. and I, went up to the farm. We also explored the right-hand fork of Cole Creek Canyon to see if timber could be gotten from there. The route is very rocky and rough; not practicable for a road.

June 14th
I worked on the lot in the forenoon. In the afternoon, I drove to Gunnison to get some things out of the store. Warm weather.

June 15th
Sunday. A fine morning. I attended the Sunday School Meeting and Council. John Mellor and John James addressed the congregation, after which I presented two recommendations which were accepted by a vote of the people. We also appointed a superintendent and other officers for our Sunday School.

June 16th
Joseph Jr. and I, went up to Bald Mountain to cut ties for the railroad. We worked in the canyon until the 20th, when we came home bringing with us a load of cedar.

June 21st
I ploughed Joseph's potatoes, while he went after my horses.

June 22nd
Sunday I attended meeting over the river. This was in the morning, then visited some of the people in the afternoon-the weather has been very changeable -cold, hot, windy.

June 23rd
I helped to take stock in the store. There was a wind from the north today. Joseph Jr. and I have been calculating to start for the Rail Road.

June 24th
Joseph and I got started for the R. R. this morning about 9:00 o'clock. We camped for the night below Suckertown, in the hills.

June 25th
We continued our journey. The road was very rough and we got stuck in the river. S. fuller helped us out. We arrived at the Fayette Camp about 11:00 A.M. and commenced work in the afternoon. We continued to work with the team and Scraper until noon of July 17th, when we started for home, going by the way of the Suckerville Dam. On the 18th of July we arrived home to find the folks all well except Alma, who had the canker very bad. The weather during this time was extremely hot, dry and windy with a small shower last night, being the only one we have had for a long time.

When I came home I discovered that the people had chosen me as one of a committee to make arrangements for the coming 24th of July Celebration. This I assisted in carrying out. Our celebration was a success.

In the meantime, I cleared the garden of weeds which had gotten quite a start. We next got up our hay. It was not more than a third of the crop this year on account of the grasshoppers and the drought. The hoppers have taken most of the grain in this place, but have not damaged our garden crops. The frosty weather in May took all of the fruit except the wild currants, and even a part of them were taken. So, we are out short in our supplies here. In most of Sanpete and Sevier counties, the crops are tolerable good, but in other places, the water has entirely failed. At our farm there has been no water this season. In some other places in the north the hoppers have taken the crops, so that according to the reports, there will be little more than a half-crop of grain throughout the Territory this season.

There are some showers of rain passing around in the mountains but very little in the valley. I was in Manti Canyon last week and got a load of lumber.

Aug. 4th
At our election on August 4th, we experienced something that we never had before in this precinct; that was voting for more than one candidate for an office! There were three for the office of Magistrate, which caused considerable confusion and quite a bad feeling among the people.

Aug. 12th
Sister Emmeline B. Wells and her daughter, Sister Howard, of Salt Lake, together with Sister Hyde, President of the Relief society of Sanpete Stake, held a 10:00 A.M. meeting at Gunnison and a 4:00 P.M. meeting in Fayette. I took a wagonload of sisters over to Gunnison. We got there after the meeting had commenced. Their mission is to organize the children from the ages of four to fourteen into a Primary Association. Thus was good advice given not only to the old, but to the young.

Sister Hyde returned to Gunnison after the meeting, but the rest of the party stayed with us. Joseph Bartholomew Jr. took them, this morning, to the station at Juab where they were to take the train for home in the afternoon.

We had a hurricane wind from the west about 4:00 P.M., which was the hardest we have had this season.

Aug. 13th
Today it has been somewhat cloudy with a little sprinkling of rain.

Aug. 14th
I prepared to go to Stake Conference. Put up a grist to take to the mill.

Aug. 15th
I started for Ephraim in the company of John Mellor. We stopped at Manti and partook of the hospitalities of Brother George Bench.

Aug. 16th
We arrived at Ephraim in time for the first meeting that commenced at 10:00 A.M. There were excellent meetings throughout the conference. Elders E. Snow and Joseph Fielding Smith were present and occupied most of the time during the conference. Their instructions were particularly to the Saints in regard to the many evils that are growing in our midst: drunkenness, swearing, adultery, and other evils. They also gave instruction on the order of marriage. The usual conference business was attended to Saturday 16th, at half past five. The Young Men and Young Women held their Conference conjointly. Junius Wells was present and gave some excellent instruction regarding improvement among the young. The weather continues to be dry with the same wind and the nights a little cooler.

Aug 18th
We came home and I have been working there for the 21st, 22nd, and 23rd. I hauled rock for the dam now being put in the river.

Aug. 24th
Sunday, I attended the meeting and council, occupying considerable time talking to the people.

Aug. 25th & 26th
Worked at cutting oats at the pond.

Aug. 26th to Sept. 29th
The weather has been very dry; somewhat windy, with some frosty nights, but most of the time, warm enough. No rain. After gathering what little oats we had-for the hoppers had eaten all the wheat-Joseph and I went up the river to hunt for Buffalo berries. We found them very scarce and the few we found were small.

I have made one trip to Manti Canyon and one to Manti for the "sleepers" (beams) to the Tithing Granary. I took some wheat to the mill both times. We sheared the sheep; hauled two loads of wood; Hauled rock for the Tithing Cellar one day; Hauled in the fence from the field; and attended to such chores and work as had to be done around home.

Uncle George M. Bartholomew came from Iowa on a visit, arriving on the 21st. He is still here, intending to return soon after October conference. His visit is a welcome one. Eliza and I are planning to start for conference on the 1st or 2nd of Oct.

Oct. 1st
Eliza and I started for Salt Lake City to attend the Semi-annual Conference. We took our wool to trade at the Provo Factory. Wool being low in price, we got $191.00 in cloth and $17.00 in cash. We had a very good conference. Much of the Spirit was good and was enjoyed. It continued until noon of the 8th of October. We left the city on the 9th. Eliza came home on the pass to Juab Station. I reached home the same day.

A man ran into our wagon and damaged it on the way down at Sandy. His name was Ned Darling. Through the intercession of Bp.Cutler and the Municipal Authorities of Lehi, he is going to pay for it.

Since my return, I have been on a deer hunt with father, Joseph and J. E. Mellor~ I hauled some wood to the mill and attended to chores around the house such as: putting a partition between the "buttry" (pantry) and the little bedroom. We hauled some rock for the Tithing Granary.

Oct. 8th & 9th to Nov. 7th & 8th.
The weather has been fine until we got some snow, which soon went off.

Nov. 13th
About 7:00 this morning it commenced to snow and continued for three or four hours making the roads very bad coming from Manti where I have been to the mill.

Nov. 16th & 17th
Brother Joseph and I attended the Stake conference at Ephraim. William Bown Jr. was with us to represent the Y. M., I. A., which held its conference on the evening of the 6th. The meetings were excellent throughout the Conference. President John Taylor, with Elders Pratt, Young and Smith of the Twelve were present and occupied most of the time. We stopped with President Beal, where we were treated very kindly. The weather was stormy some of the time, which made the roads quite muddy.

Since that time, I have been working at home; hauling wood, making a stable, hauling straw from the farm, working at the head of the spring and have made two coffins. There have been two deaths-one, a boy of five or six years of age, of Diphtheria, a son of Frank Hill. The other was an infant belonging to the Lorenzo Wilson family. It died soon after birth. There is diphtheria in the Hill, Palmer and Fausley families but they are getting better.

The weather has been stormy off and on for several days. It commenced to snow about 7:00 A.M. and continued all day. It looks like more tonight. The rain and snow that fell today have made the roads very muddy.

Dec. 3rd, 1979
It has been stormy up to the present time.

Dec. 15th
Considerable snow has fallen in the mountain-more than there was last winter and at present, the prospect is that there will be enough water next year.

I have been working at home building a stable, made a work bench, hauled some wood and did chores around the house. Yesterday I went to Gunnison to make arrangements for hay to feed the Church stock that I expect on the 16th.

We attended a meeting-the first held in the Relief Society Hall, a portion of which is now finished. I was called on to speak on this occasion. The spirit of the Lord was felt and we all rejoiced. Bp. Madsen, J. Hansen, John E. Metcalf and Sister Copley, with myself, were the speakers.

Dec. 16th
By invitation, Eliza and I attended a Dancing Party of the Relief society at Gunnison in commemoration of the completion of a portion of the Relief Society Hall. It was crowded to its uttermost capacity. They served a very sumptuous supper in the evening.

Dec. 17th
I butchered two hogs. Joseph and father helped.

Dec. 18th
We killed a beef.

Dec. 19th
I worked on James Mellor's house, having first started it on the 17th of this month.

Dec. 20th
Worked on J. Mellor's house in the forenoon. At 2:00 P.M. We held our annual ;meeting of the Co-op Store. A dividend of $275 per share was decided upon.

A wind has blown all day from the south. It continues with a sprinkling of for all or most of the night.

Dec. 21st
Sunday. This morning the wind changed to the north, bringing with it a brisk storm of snow, which fell from an inch and a half to two inches.

I had a severe attack of toothache while at meeting this morning, which compelled me to leave the meeting before it was out. It continued to storm in the mountains. My tooth continued to ache so hard that I drove the buggy to Gunnison and got it pulled. I left there about 9:00 P.M.

Dec. 22nd
Worked on James Mellor's house dressing door and window lacings. Windy and cold today. Snowing tonight.

Dec. 23rd
It snowed and blew all night and all of today. It's been very cold. I worked on J. Mellor's house.

Dec. 24th
I worked on J. Mellor's house for a half day. We had a dance tonight. Christmas Eve passed off very quietly.

Dec. 25th
Worked one half-day on the house. The weather is very cold.

Dec. 26th
I worked on James Mellor's house. Cold Weather.

Dec. 27th
Worked on J. Mellor's house. It commenced to snow this morning continued through the day and sleeted all night.

Dec. 28th
Sunday, It snowed and sleeted through the day and looks as though it would continue. The snow has settled down to a depth of 6 to 8 inches. It is very soft.

Dec. 29th
It froze a little last night and commenced to snow again.

Dec. 30th The weather has remained cold most of the time from the 29th of Dec. to the 9th of Jan (1880). I have been working on J. Mellor's house some of the time.

Jan 3rd . 1880
We went to the sheep herd over the Sevier into Sage Valley and came home late, to find Elders J. Waisham, W. S. Snow , Wm. Anderson and L. Tuttle, home missionaries at my house with an appointment for a meeting at 6:30;. I attended to the team, ate supper and went with them to the meeting, being late. The people were all waiting. The meeting was addressed by Snow and Waisham. A good Spirit prevailed.

Jan. 4th
Elder Waisham and Tuttle went to Gunnison to fill an appointment at 11:00 A.M. Snow and Anderson stopped to preach to us. A very good Spirit prevailed again, and throughout the meeting. After the meeting I took them to Gunnison.

Jan. 5th
I attended the board meeting of the Fayette Irrigating Company at 2:00 P.M. at Hugh Reid's. Eliza and Sister Bown went with me. An appointment was made to meet with the sisters on the West side of the River on the following Monday; this, for the purpose of organizing the sisters into Relief Society.

Jan. 6th
I worked at J. Mellor's house.

Jan. 7th
Worked at my stable.

Jan. 8th
I worked a half-day at the stable and the other half on J. Mellor's house.

Jan. 9th
I worked at J. Mellor's house. It was warm in the day. Froze at night.

The weather has been very cold all of the time through January and February up to the present time (Feb. 18th). The snow that fell, lay on the ground except for some drifts to the depth of 12 inches or more.

Feb. 19th
I have been at home most of the time this winter. I labored on the Temple at Manti a few days, and attended the Quarterly Conference at Ephraim, which was quite interesting, considering the fact that there was no one from the Twelve present. The Temple Building cooperation and other subjects were treated upon. A great many cattle and sheep have died of hunger and cold, and a great many more will die if this weather continues.

Feb 10th
The weather has moderated and the snow started to melt. I have been working on J. Mellor's house-dressing the flooring.

Feb. 21st
The Y.M.'s and Y.L.'s Association had a theater here this evening. It was a farce- "Toodles" with "No Rose without a Thorn." The play went off very well, considering that the actors were all inexperienced and the first attempt for most of them. I took the part of George Acorn in the "Toodles" play.

Feb. 22nd
The weather continues mild with the snow thawing.

Sunday I attended Meeting and spoke to the people, giving a synopsis of our Stake Conference instructions. I also treated some of the things pertaining to our Ward.

Feb. 23rd
Worked in the shop at J. Mellor's house. The snow is still melting.

Feb. 24th
Fine weather, with the snow still melting. A conjoint Session of the Y.M. & Y. L. Association was held this evening with the Young Ladies presiding.

Feb. 25th
The weather continues fine with the snow melting. I worked on the house at my job.

Feb. 26th
I finished dressing the inch and a quarter flooring for James Mellor's house. The snow has been melting fast. A wind from the south and west.

Feb. 27th
The wind got into the north last night and blew up a snowstorm-one of the severest of the season. At 12 noon, it continues, drifting the snow into deep drifts.

Feb. 18th
The weather turned cold for a few days.

Feb. 29th
I attended meeting today, it being Sunday.

Mar.; 1st
I attended a meeting of the Trustees of the Fayette Irrigation District at F.C. Gruntvig's home at 2:00 P.M. and later met with the Board of Directors of the Fayette co-op. Store at my home.

Mar. 2nd
Joseph and I each hauled a load of wood from the canyon. Very warm today. There is some trouble in this place about people skinning cattle that do not belong to them.

Mar 3rd.
I have a very severe cold, so have done no work today, only attending to a few chores.

Mar 4th
Last night, the wind, which had been blowing most of the day from the south, got into the north and blew up a snowstorm. It was not heavy, just squally all day.

Mar. 5th.
The weather still has a wintry appearance. I continued my labors on J. Mellor's house-as much as the weather would permit; attending to other chores such as hauling wood; attending Trustees Meeting. The weather has continued cold.

Mar. 16th
There came quite a fall of snow with wind from the north, drifting the snow into piles. This was followed by two or three of the coldest nights we have had this winter.

Mar. 18th
Temperature moderated. Squally all day.

Mar. 23rd I worked on J. Mellor's house. Weather fine. The same for Mar. 24th.

Mar. 25th
I started for Juab Station with a load of hides for a Mr. Young, traveling in the company of David Curtis of Willow Bend. We found the roads very bad. The snow was melting fast with a south wind. The water ran in streams all over the country. The ground thawing in places, making the roads heavy with mud. It turned cold in the evening as the wind got into the north and looked like storm. We camped for the night in Chicken Creek Bottoms. There was only time to unhitch and get straightened up. When it started to snow. The fall was around 2 inches.

Mar. 26th
We reached the station; did our business and came back to Cedar Ridge where we camped for the night.

Mar. 27th
It froze some in the night. We reached home by noon. It was a fine day.

Mar. 28th
Sunday. I attended Sunday School and Meeting, speaking to the people on their duties in living the gospel.

Mar. 29th
A fine day. Worked on J. Mellor's house until noon. It turned windy in the afternoon and rather cold.

Mar. 30th
The Lundburgs worked on the Tithing Cellar. I worked on J. Mellor's house.

Mar. 31st
I hauled rock for the Tithing office in the forenoon and worked on J. Mellor's house in the afternoon.

Apr. 1st
I worked on J. Mellor's house. It appears that a storm is brewing. It is windy.

Apr. 2nd
I assisted the others in getting the "sleepers" (beams) in the Tithing Granary and worked on J. Mellor's house. It was windy from the south until night, when it got around into the northwest and brought up a rainstorm. The wind blew very hard.

May 1st
Since Apr. 2nd, the weather has been cold most of the time. The cold has held the frost back so that the fruit trees have not come into bloom. The prospect seems favorable for a good fruit year. Our grain is also late, the first crop just beginning to come through. We finished our small grain field at the farm on Apr. 30th, in the afternoon. Today I commenced to haul manure onto the lot. John Mellor helped me.

May 2nd
Sunday. I attended Sunday School and Meeting, occupying a portion of the time talking to the people of the duties on Fast Day, and the obedience to the Priesthood of God on the earth. Also attended Teacher's Meeting at half past 2:00 P.M.

May 29th
The weather has varied between warm and cold during this month. Since a frost on the 15th, and again on the 25th, it is now pleasant. The fruit is not damaged very much yet. If the weather continues warm from now on, the prospect seems favorable for a fair crop. The late frosts have nipped most of the tender plants. My time has been occupied mostly with farming.

On the 15th and 16th of May, I attended Stake Conference in Ephraim. On May 17th, sheep shearing commenced. We found our loss to be about 1/3 of the old stock and ½ of the wool. As near as we can tell at present, our loss in stock is about 50 per cent. The health of the people is good at present.

Aug. 26th
From May 29th to Aug 26th, I have been following the various labors pertaining to farming, such as: watering, haying, and harvesting, finishing the latter today at noon. I am THANKFUL that our harvest has been a fair one. Our potatoes bid fair for a good crop, also our beans, melons, etc.

We have had a very dry season thus far. There has been no rain to amount to anything since April. There has been considerable wind, which, together with the lack of rain, has dried the grass on the hills and mountains, stunting its growth since about the middle of June. The grass is now pretty much dried up except where water has reached it. Frost touched us up to the 15th of June, with a severe one hitting us on the 10th. At this time most of the fruit was killed in this part of the country.

Feb. 1881
The season from the 26th of Aug/80 to now has mostly been dry and cold. The winter weather set in in good earnest in November, giving us the coldest weather of the winter in that month. The winter so far, might be called an open one. Although there had been a great deal of storm, the snow has not stayed on the ground very long at a time-in the Sevier Valley. Four inches is about the deepest we have had at any one time and that came in December. Last night we had around three inches of wet snow.

I have been engaged in the various labors pertaining to husbandry, such as: Gathering our grain, threshing, getting up the potatoes, beans and etc., hauling wood, and working on J. Mellor's house, WHICH I HAVE FINISHED. I labored on the Manti Temple from the 15th to the last of January. I made a trip to Salt Lake in December.

Father, Joseph, E.J. Mellor and I went on a hunt. We got four or five deer and a large bear. While pursuing the slightly wounded bear, he turned to attack Joseph and E. J. Mellor. As he came to within 10 to 15 feet of Joseph, he shot him in the right shoulder, stunning the bear. For a few moments the animal staggered, but soon regained his strength ready for pursuit. E. J. Mellor thought it the safest plan to retreat, which he promptly did, leaving Joseph to fight Bruin alone. Finding his gun an encumbrance to his flight, he dropped it by the way and lost his hat to the bargain. The brush was so thick that we could not see and therefore didn't even know whether or not he had been killed. We did not dare to advance either, until Joseph had climbed up a tree to survey the situation. E. J. was safe, so we followed the bear for a half-mile or more before overtaking him. We shot Bruin 8 to 10 times before finally killing him. He was very fat and would have weighted 9 or 10 cwt.

Apr. 27th, 1881
The weather has been fine for this time of the year. Spring commenced in March and it has been fine up to the present. Considerable snow and rain fell through the winter and early spring, which we think will give us an abundance of water for irrigation this summer. We got our grain in in March. I have worked some on the Canal and the last few days we have been ploughing in the fields and gardens. With J. A. Bown, I went to the mill at Gunnison today. Erickson commenced to plaster our upstair rooms on the 25th of April.

July 5th
Since the 27th of April, I have been laboring on the farm as usual, watering, plowing corn and getting our hay up. The first crop of Lucerne is up. We have been obliged to cut our grass earlier this year on account of the hoppers. They would have eaten it up. They have been very hard on the gardens, eating the cabbage, onion, potatoes, peas, radishes, and corn, damaging them considerable. They eat the leaves off the wheat in the fields. Had it not been for the hoppers, we would have had one of the finest seasons ever. There will be more fruit this season than we have ever had. The grain and fruit crops are generally good throughout the Territory this year. The health of the people has been good so far this season.

I have made three trips to Manti; two of them for lumber and one time to the mill. Many accidents and tragic events have been happening throughout the country; furious winds called cyclones passing over the U.S., murders, loss of property and life. The weather has been hot and dry through June. There was not enough rain in that month to amount to any good.

Aug. 9th
From July 5th, I have been working around the place, watering, hoeing and attending to other chores. Joseph came home from working on the R.R. to help with the harvesting.

On July 2nd, in Washington D.C., President Garfield was shot by a half insane man named Guittan, (?). He was shot twice, once in the arm and once in the side, ranging down until the bullet lodged in his abdomen. The president has had a serious time of it. By the suggestion of President John Taylor, the Fourth Celebrations were suspended in Utah on account of the President's attempted assassination.

After an illness of several months. Fred Shaw died 8th of July, 1881.

July 11th
Phillip Dack had his hay, stables and some of his corral burned and all destroyed. Cause of the fire not known.

June 3rd 1882
From July 11th, 1881, I have been laboring at the various occupations pertaining to farming. After getting the haying, harvesting, and threshing done and the corn gathered, I started on the date of Sept. 13th, for Pleasant Valley, on horseback, to help Joseph in the Tye Contract which he had taken from Birch and Nielson.

(The above is the last entry of daily happenings in the life of John Bartholomew.)

(Words to a song found in the daybook)

"Love I've been faithful to you."

"Why do you turn from me, darling?
Why all this coldness today?
Is it my fault that I love you,
Is it a sin can you say?
Tell me the truth ere you leave me,
You have another 'tis true.
Have I deserved this, O tell me,
When I've been faithful to you?

Love I've been faithful to you
You told me once that you loved me
And held me close to your heart.
You said that we'd stand at the altar
And vowed that we never would part.
You'd take a bride to your bosom
Love her and cherish her, too
Have I deserved this? O tell me
When I've been faithful to you?

Love, I've been faithful to you
I've loved you most tender and true.
Although you regret that we have met
It has not always been so.
You say that I have been false,
And that I've broken my vow.
Look in my eyes Dear,
Read, and you'll find there
That I have been faithful to you!

And so one dark night he found her,
But it was her beautiful clay;
Lifeless and pallid as marble,
Her spirit had passed away.
Folded, she held a small paper
Close to her warm heart so true.
Just one sad line she had written,
Love, I've been faithful to you.

Return to top

ABC&SBC | LMC&EKA | JB&ERM | CC&KL | AC&MC | JB&PB| JEM&MW | Home | Contact Us

© Copyright 2007 ABC/SBC Family Foundation