Anthony Metcalf History

ABC&SBC | LMC&EKA | JB&ERM | CC&KL | AC&MC | JB&PB | JEM&MW | Home | Contact Us


Anthony Metcalf History written by his daughter Emma Elizabeth Metcalf Brown
(whose great grandaughter inherited the composition book in which she wrote it!)

Anthony Metcalf was born in Belfast Ireland September 5, 1843. His father, John Edward Metcalf was born in Hull, Yorkshire, England July 13, 1812 and his mother, Mary Waslin was born in Skidby, Yorkshire, England July 15, 1810. They were married in 1832.

Anthony's father was a carpenter by trade and at the time of Anthony's birth was in Ireland on construction work.

In the early part of 1849 they were contracted by Mormon Elders, to whom their home was always open. They joined the church in 1849 and emigrated to Utah in 1853, crossing the ocean on the ship Ellen Maria. They crossed the plains in the Claudius Spencer Company.

At the time of their emigration, Anthony was ten years old. He walked all the way across the plains from the Missouri River to Salt Lake City. He got so tired he would sit down and tell them to leave him there. His mother told him the Indians would get him. He said, "Well let them have me." His mother would feel bad and cry. He couldn't stand to see her cry so he would get up and go on.

Food was very scarce but Anthony said he never went hungry although he was often afraid he would be because his mother never turned any body away without a mixing of flour. He said he would stand by the four barrel and see his mother scrape the barrel for some less fortunate neighbor. He would say, "Mother, what will we do?" And she would reply, "Ah, Laddie there will always be a mixing in the barrel." And there always was. He said he had only missed one meal that he could remember. His mother had given him his bread and cheese. He had gone out side to eat it. Along came a big boy with a dead black bird and traded it for his bread and cheese. His older brother came and made them trade back but Anthony wouldn't eat it because the other boy had had it in his dirty hands so the brother, John ate the bread and cheese.

This family of Metcalfs arrived in Salt Lake City the latter part of September, 1853. They lived in the Salt Lake fourth ward until 1856. An interesting incident happened there on Sunday afternoon. Anthony had gone with the older boys to the home of President Brigham Young. While the older folks were at church the boys hitched the horses to the buggy and took the girls out riding. When meeting was out they were back in the barn. President Young came in. He didn't say a word to the boys, but he took the whip out of the buggy and went around and whipped all of the wheels of the buggy and said how naughty they had been to take the girls out riding on Sunday. He felt that chastisement had more effect than had he scolded the boys.

In 1856 the family moved to Springville. Anthony worked for Bishop Bringhurst and Jacob Houtz freighting for them to Nevada. On one of these trips he was accidentally shot in the leg while resting at noon.
In the fall of 1862 the family was called to St. George by the authorities of the church, but in the spring of 1864 was released and called to Warm Creek, now Fayette, to build a flour mill. Grandfather, John Edward [Sr.] died there February 4, 1887.

Anthony was married to Sylvia Eliza Sanford in August 1862 at Springville, Utah. They moved to Fayette in 1866 to operate the flour mill. He had learned the milling business from Jacob Houtz. The Indians were so troublesome he had to work under heavy guard. Finally because of them they were forced to move to Gunnison where Anthony built a mill of his own, which he ran until he was called on a mission for the church to New __land in 1884? To them were born 15 children.

Anthony was a Lieutenant in the cavalry during the Black Hawk War and took part in several skirmishes. He served as president of the town council two terms and declined a third nomination. He served as constable two terms. He was elected president of Gunnison Irrigation Co. at the time of its organization and served with honor to himself and credit to the people, forcing an equal division of the waters of Six-Mile creek. He was a shareholder in the Co-op store and was a director for several years. He was a member of the quorum of Seventies and a consistant churchman. He was loved and respected by all who knew him. He died March 28, 1924.

History obtained from the website created by Vauna Green.



ABC&SBC | LMC&EKA | JB&ERM | CC&KL | AC&MC | JB&PB | JEM&MW | Home | Contact Us

© Copyright 2007 ABC/SBC Family Foundation